Mary Beth Brooks , Director of the Arkansas Small Business and Technology Development Center ASBTDC at the University of Arkansas recently led a panel discussion for participants to explore questions about buying & selling a business. The Center’s Business Consultants Catherine Corley & Amy Robinson also moderated the panel which featured Northwest Arkansas CBI Team (Confidential Business Intermediaries) Managing Partner Jon Holbert and company founder Carl Grimes.
Jon and Carl are two of the only five International Business Brokers of America (IBBA)’s who hold the prestigious Certified Business Intermediary designation and with the firm’s work to help owners transition in and out of businesses since 1994 afforded session participants their unique perspective.
“At CBI, we’re thrilled to participate and partner with the University of Arkansas’ ASBTDC and further our shared goal of helping small businesses thrive,” said Jon Holbert.
The panel format explored 10 commonly asked questions from UASBTDC & CBI. These include the following:
- Who is selling businesses and why?
- Who is the average buyer these days?
- What are the differences between stock sale vs. asset sale?
- What is the typical business sale process?
- Describe the typical business acquisition process:
- Seller financing. What is it and why is it important?
- Describe the involvement of buyer & seller CPAs:
- How has COVID impacted business prices?
- How do you calculate Seller’s Discretionary Earnings?
- How is value determined?
Interested in a CBI leader talking with your organization? Contact CBI at [email protected].
To learn more about ASBTDC programs, information or to register for other ASBTDC upcoming events, visit: https://sbtdc.uark.edu.